Pantex plays an integral role in our nation’s nuclear defense. We have some of the most stringent security in the world, and we only host invited visitors. Before your visit, your Pantex host or contact will make arrangements for you with Access Control. Review security and safety information, and required forms and clearance levels with your host or contact.
Pantex is located approximately 30 miles east of Amarillo in the Texas Panhandle. Allow 30 minutes driving time. A map and parking directions, and other important information is available in the Pantex Visitor Guide.
Our area does occasionally get inclement weather, so check the forecast before you leave. If there is a possibility Pantex may be closed because of weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances, call 806.477.3000 to check the plant operational status.
Upon arrival at Pantex, following temperature screening guidance, check in with Access Control, located in the Administration Building 16-12 on FM 2373, at least 30 minutes before any scheduled meeting. Office hours for Access Control are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. CT, Monday through Thursday.
Identification and/or Citizenship Requirements
Be prepared to provide a form of government photo identification such as your Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD) badge, current military ID, driver's license or U.S. passport when you check in with Access Control. If you do not hold a federal security clearance, you will also be asked to affirm your U.S. citizenship.
In accordance with the REAL ID Act established by Congress in 2005, the Department of Homeland Security established implementing standards. Among these is a prohibition on using non REAL ID Act compliant driver’s licenses as proof of identity for access to restricted (i.e., non public access) areas of federal facilities. Pantex falls under these requirements. Visitors with identification from these jurisdictions will need to present an alternate photo identification to be granted access to Pantex. Some acceptable forms of identification include:
- U.S. passport or passport card
- An Enhanced Driver’s License or Enhanced ID Card issued by a state (Enhanced licenses issued by the states are clearly marked Enhanced or Enhanced Driver’s License)
- A military ID or other government issued photo ID card
Visit https://www.dhs.gov/real-id for more information.
For Badged employees, visitors from other DOE sites, and visitors from other agencies who bring their badges, this will have no effect.
If you have any questions, contact Personnel Security at 806.477.3909
Prohibited and Controlled Articles
|Personal Electronic Medical Devices|
|Visitors reporting to the Pantex Plant who require the use of Personal Electronic Medical Device (s), will need prior approval before entering any areas of the plant (JCDC, LA, PA, and MAA). If hosting a visitor, please ensure that use of any Personal Devices is disclosed. A PX-6390 will need to be completed. (Reference: MNL-352286) If you have further questions, contact Clint Olson or refer to the Prohibited and Controlled Articles link provided.|
Devices with camera, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi hotspot capabilities are strictly prohibited from use at Pantex. The capabilities on the devices must be disabled when removed from personal vehicles on plant site.
Review the complete list of prohibited and controlled items. All activities involving controlled articles will be investigated and may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Appropriate footwear is an essential aspect of safety at Pantex. It is an industrial site with a variety of walking and working surfaces. Proper footwear will reduce the probability of an injury while on our site and during tours, and your Pantex host or contact is responsible for ensuring you adhere to the policy.
- Heel height 2.5 inches or less, as measured at back of the heel
- Heel width (side to side) .5 inch or more as measured at the tread surface
- Foot fully enclosed
- Non-skid soles shall be of sufficient thickness to prevent penetration
Footwear such as sandals, flip flops, rubber sandals, open-toed, and high heels (greater than 2.5 inches in height and heel less than .5-inch diameter or width) shall not be worn in Pantex facilities.
Additional footwear requirements are defined for entry into specific facilities or areas. Designated office spaces, including the John C. Drummond Center, are excluded from this policy.
Vehicle Safety Requirements
If you are required to drive a vehicle or operate company equipment during your visit to Pantex, you are responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle/equipment. Drivers are required to:
- Have a valid driver’s license (commercial, if applicable).
- Ensure that required appropriate training has been completed for any vehicles or equipment operated.
- Use seat belts. They are mandatory in all vehicles and equipment.
- Operate motor vehicles in a safe manner according to applicable Federal, state, and local ordinances, laws, and regulations, including Texas Rules of the Road, traffic controls, posted signs, pavement markings, and other applicable requirements.
- Utilize a spotter when possible, especially when backing into any area that does not provide clear visual access.
Comply with the following speed limits unless posted otherwise:
- FM 2373 entering Pantex property – 75 mph
- Interior roadways – 20 to 50 mph dependent on location
- Parking areas – 15 mph
Motor Vehicle Safety: Cell Phones and Electronic Devices
Personnel MAY NOT use cellular telephones or portable electronic devices while operating a vehicle:
- If the vehicle, phone, or device is owned, leased, or rented by the company/U.S. government.
- If the vehicle is personally owned and you are onsite or offsite at a company leased/owned facility.
- While conducting company business – regardless of vehicle or location.
This includes hands-free and Bluetooth devices. Portable Electronic Devices include e-readers, MP3 players, netbooks, tablets, and laptop computers.
These requirements apply to CNS employees, subcontractors, vendors, and visitors.
Report all incidents in government owned and privately owned vehicles that occur on-site or during business-related travel by calling the Plant Shift Superintendent at 806-477-5000.